Tweet ThisBookmark and Share

Responsible Serving of Alcohol

Washington Responsible Serving of Alcohol Information

Responsible Serving of Alcohol Online Training & Certification

Take this online course to receive your alcohol server certification card.

Responsible alcohol server training ensures that sellers and servers of alcohol understand the liquor laws in their states and serve responsibly. Some areas require alcohol seller/server certification for any employee that handles alcohol.

Our responsible server online course can be taken in one or more online sessions and satisfies the requirements in most areas. This training meets the requirements or recommendations (if applicable) in most states and jurisdictions. It is a good idea to get this certification because many establishments require this training to lower their insurance rates and the chances of failing a sting or alcohol check. This certification can also help you stand out from other job applicants who don't have server certification.

General Information

This course is designed to help you maximize your knowledge of alcohol service through easy-to-master lessons. As you move through the course, you will learn specific and detailed information about how to serve alcohol responsibly.

How long does the course take?
For most people, this course will take just a couple of hours to complete. However, the course is self-paced and any additional time needed will depend on your personal study habits. You can take as much time as you need to study the course material and there are no penalties for retaking the quizzes.

You will have access to the course and be able to review the course material for 30 days after you have completed the course and received your certificate.

Approved for online Mandatory Alcohol Server Training (MAST) by the Washington State Liquor Control Board

Notice: PSCC's Food Safety for Handlers Course is not currently approved in Washington.

Related Courses for WA:

The minimum age to sell and serve alcohol in Washington is 18. Washington Bartending License regulations

The Washington State Liquor Control Board

The agency that handles Washington liquor licensing and/or bartender licensing rules and regulations in Washington is The Washington State Liquor Control Board. The contact information for The Washington State Liquor Control Board is listed below. You can contact them to verify that online server certification (bartender license) can be obtained in Washington. We have also listed that information where applicable.

The Washington State Liquor Control Board
Phone: (360) 664-1600

Washington Licensee's Certification Card

In Washington, any person attempting to purchase alcohol is required to present proper identification proving they are 21 or older. If you have doubts about the person's age, even if the ID is one of the acceptable forms of ID, you can ask the customer to complete a Licensee Certification card.

Licensee Certification cards must be filled out completely and signed by the person presenting the ID. These cards must also be filed by the close of business the same day the cards are completed. Licensee Certification cards must be available for examination by any law enforcement officer.

A completed Licensee Certification card is a defense if you are charged with serving alcohol to a minor (if the card is filled out correctly and the minor has signed the card) and is evidence that you have acted in good faith to prevent the sale of alcohol to a minor.

Click Here To Download Washington Licensee's Certification Card.

Bartending License regulations for sellers and servers in Washington
  • WA Dram Shop Laws: Yes
  • WA Happy Hour Laws: Washington state law does not allow the following types of promotions: Two for the price of one, Buy one, get one free, Two drinks for a fixed price, All you can drink, and Free or complimentary drinks. A business also may not sell (or offer or advertise to sell) alcohol for a price that is less than the business paid for it. There may be exceptions under certain circumstances, such as when a product is discontinued or seasonal (after the season for the product) or the goods are damaged or have deteriorated.

Can bartenders in WA work as a bartender with a felony conviction? no
No. Permit holder (servers get class 12 and class 13 permits) may lose his/her permit for 2nd violation of OTHER VIOLATIONS OF LAWS: Conviction of liquor laws, driving under the influence, or felony.

Related Site Searches